Crafty in the Med

I am here to enjoy meeting other bloggers and to share my love of craft ,mostly crochet, my thoughts and my daily happenings here in Alicante,Spain, my adopted country. I belong to a local choir because singing and music makes me happy. Flea markets and book shops are two of my favourite places to be. I read lots......sci´fi/fantasy,buried treasure, and off world adventures. I have a passion for history! I walk and walk and walk for about 10 months per year during the hot months I swim.

Friday 23 December 2016

On your marks...get set...ready....go!

So much to do and so little time to do it!!!      It is a race against time :-)



First stage of Christmas Day meal prepared. Placed in fridge to marinate for 24 hours:
It will eventually be an Orange,Grapes & Rosemary Roast Duck!

A few handmade extras to go with the pressies under the tree. I didn't think I'd get them done on time but there you are and with a day to spare!

for Cookie Baby: A Pom Pom square hat & Cowl set:


I love the back of this hat!      One of my students modelled it for me. Thank you so much L :-)

Self sustaining pot of violets for daughter Nº 1:


Bit of a family joke this.....at least they won't shrivel up and die for lack of water!!!!!




and tomorrow,Christmas Eve, on to the baking for the big family dinner at my sister-in-law's villa.  I usually deal with the baking side of it.  I am thinking carrot & walnut cake with a cream cheese topping,a Bakewell Tart and some Jam tarts. They really love the jam tarts....so simple!                        
I think there will be about 25 or 30 of us this year counting the children.  The tradition here is a big meal ,all the family together, lots of carol singing,lots of discussions and talking about religion or politics is prohibited!!!!  Right ....which they stick to at the beginning but by the time we get to the coffee and champagne that rule is easily forgotten!
 Each child is given aguinaldo from all the adult members of the family on Christmas Eve.This is a Christmas gift....a Christmas pocket money gift! 
Sr P went to the bank purposely this morning to get change so he has exactly the right number of Euro notes to give to each child. Each child must receive exactly the same amount of money. I am sure you can imagine why!   If you want everyone to be happy you make sure you do not give big brother more than little brother.


Dear Blog friends       
A very.......

to you all
xxx
Amanda :-)

15 comments:

  1. You big Christmas dinner and party sounds busy and fun! I love the hat and scarf gift.. very fun. Have a great time.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas party sounds like it will be wonderful, and your crocheted gifts are lovely. You inspire me to especially want to make a buttoned cowl like you made...not too bulky, but warming. There are thirteen in our household for Christmas dinner with other folks joining us for meals in the days around Christmas. Your menu sounds yummy. I thought we were going to have toasted turkey and cheese sandwiches, but now am told we are having a small turkey and beef roast! Merry Christmas to you and yours, Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are busy, busy but having fun too! I liked hearing about your families traditions. The hat and cowl are so cute and I need a pot of violets like that. I always kill violets. It will be very quiet at our house this weekend, but we'll have a small ham dinner after church and all will be well. Merry Christmas Amanda, to all of your family.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. HaHa! Reminds me....!!!
    That's how bears make love....Ready Teddy Go...! :).

    Well, l'm home alone this Christmas...I shall probably
    open a tin of sardines..and sit in the shed...!!! :).
    Family down next weekend, for New Year..as their working
    this year, with only two days off! So, big celebrations
    next weekend for me!
    Just got a nice large haunch of Venison out the deep freeze,
    for myself tomorrow, rest for next week, along with other
    'road kill'...HeHe! You think l'm joking!

    Seriously though...All the very best to one and all....Hope
    you and all your family and friends have a great time Amanda.
    I remember our large family affairs back home in Sicily, now,
    l'm afraid a lot of them have gone on...only 2nd and 3rd cousins
    left..who l don't know that well...Never~the~less...a glass will
    be raised in good health, to one and ALL....Well, maybe more! :0).
    God Bless!x Here's to 2017..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you have a wonderful time then during your New Year Eve family dinner. We don’t do much on New Year’s Eve but celebrate together just the two of us. Its nice!

      Tonight it’ll be crazy but wonderful. I am lucky I have a fabulous Spanish family!

      All the very best for Christmas and the New Year :-)

      Amanda xxx

      (I remember Dad used to bring home venison….I never thought about it as a child….but I wonder where he got it from????)

      Delete
    2. Same place my Dad used to get it....Side of the
      road...!!!
      First job my Dad had when we returned to this
      country was as a bus conductor...So, if the driver
      saw something on the side of the road, he'd stop
      the bus, Dad would get out, give it a shake, if o.k.
      he'd bring it on home, and, yes, even badger....!

      It was years later before we ever had turkey...Goose
      for Christmas was the usual thing, always plenty of
      pheasants, rabbits as well....And, there still is...!

      Best wishes to you to Amanda....I'll lift a glass to you
      and yours....I'm doing that for a lot of people...Well, l
      need an excuse don't l...don't l...No! No!
      Take Care...!xxx

      Delete
  5. And a Very Merry Christmas to you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all sounds wonderful Amanda, Happy Christmas to you too. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry, Merry Christmas Amanda. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an awful amount of preparation goes in to it all and it is worth it! Have fun, enjoy and keep crocheting x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping you and yours have the best day ever! MERRY CHRISTMAS x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good evening Amanda, by now you will have enjoyed your Christmas, with lots of food, lots of discussions and lots of laughter. And today I hope you are putting your feet up.
    Sending you love and best wishes for 2017.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I am sooo homesick this year. You think I would be used to being away from Spain and my family after 35 years, but that is not the case. Happy New Year! xxx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda, looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. Wish you a very Happy New Year and may the year be filled with lots of crafty goodness, health and joy.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the hat and cowl...what a pretty color! And the violets are sweet! I hope you had a happy holiday! Happy New year sweet lady! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read them and try to reply to all as well.Please keep them coming. Amanda :-)